Monday, September 13, 2004

The Burning of Zozobra (aka Old Man Gloom)

Each year about this time, to start off Fiestas de Santa Fe, the Burning of Zozobra takes place in Santa Fe.  Zozobra, or "Old Man Gloom", is constructed at around 50 feet high, and is designed to move and moan during the burning.  All evening there's a build up that includes different dances, including fire dancers.  As soon as the sun sets, he's ignited, with the burning itself lasting about 30 minutes.   Zozobra signifies the troubles or unpleasant events of the last year, and he's burned each year to 'let go' of those troubles.  According to the Daily Lobo (aka daily low blow) about 25,000 people attended this year.    Its always fun to see bad stuff in your life burn up, even if it is only figuratively. 

See there is cool stuff happening in New Mexico. 

The fair ends this weekend (POUT!), then its the AIDS Walk on the 25th (more on that later), then the Balloon Fiesta in early October.  I may actually go this year, depending on if I can drag my butt out of bed that early in the morning.  (More on that later too)

CYA:  www.americaslibrary.gov/ es/nm/es_nm_zozo_1_e.html   www.dailylobo.com/news/ 2003/09/04/News/Zozobr...

**********************************************************************************

In other random news, BooBoo the giant puppy managed to let all the outside animals out last night.  Someone (who will remain nameless at this time) forgot to latch the BooBoo-proof part of the gate, even after being reminded countless times, so this morning Byron was trolling the neighborhood, Xena was in the yard yelling for him to come home, and BooBoo was watching like an idiot.  Thank goodness none of them got hurt.

BooBoo then opened the shed door and pulled out an entire box of miscellaneous tools and scattered them all over the yard, along with a bunch of extra PVC pipe that was stored in there. 

BooBoo also pulled off the welcome mat from the porch and dragged that across the yard.  Apparently all her toys have lost their thrill, and since the older dogs think she's a dork, she's getting bored.

Isn't her name appropriate?  Maybe I should change her name to ADHD.

*********************************************************************************

I'm still experiencing that disconnected feeling - I don't know how else to describe it.  I'm hoping it'll fade soon - my horoscope did nothing for me today.

I've met a few Wiccans lately and I've decided that'll be something I'm gonna check out more.  It seems really cool - I love learning about stuff like that.  Anyone who knows about it is more than welcome to drop me a line and point me in the right direction.

That's about it for my boring life.  Work, School, Sleep, Work, School, Sleep....Those of you that know me well (and speaking of ADHD - its almost worse when you're an adult) know that its times like this where I get that itch to start checking out new stuff or finding new interests.  I get sick of routines really really fast.  I'll try to stay out of trouble.

Anyway, hopefully y'all are having more fun!!

1 comment:

kuhlhiggins said...

The Burning of Zozobra sounds interesting. I know I would enjoy seeing the bad stuff in my life burn up. Poor BooBoo always in trouble.
Kathy