Monday, September 13, 2004

Eating at your desk

OK this is the THIRD time I've written this thanks to AOL's constant flatulance.  Its really starting to grind on my nerves.

ANYWAY....I eat at my desk four out of the five days of the work week.  My boss allows me to leave an hour and a half early twice a week to attend class and he pays for it, so my logic is that its only fair for me to give up my lunch hours to make up the time.  So my assistant just showed me an article about eating at your desk that was totally enlightening and disgusting - and I thought I'd share, being the generous person that I am.  (CYA:  http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?section=workweek&display=rednews/2004/08/16/build/work)

Anyway, according to this article, the toilet seat in the office restroom has less bacteria per square inch (49) than the surface of the average worker's desk (20,961).  The only dirtier surface is the telephone, with 25,127 bacteria per square inch.  The reasoning is that, especially with cluttered desks, the desktops are usually avoided/ignored by cleaning staff and the desk user.  People actually go YEARS without cleaning the surface of their desks with any type of product, disinfecting or otherwise.

That's dirty, disgusting, nasty and just wrong.  It really is.

I'm a Lysol addict.  I also clean my keyboard, adding machine and telephone with rubbing alcohol for a couple of reasons.  First, "hand cheese" (as my brother calls it) has no place on anything, especially those items you use each day.  Secondly, if you don't clean off the junk from the phone receiver its a great way to get acne and other blemishes on your face.  I usually clean my desk with a wood oil or polish because its actual wood.  I never thought to disinfect my desktop.

On that note, I just bleached my entire desktop.  That's so dirty.  From now on,I will eat on several paper towels, and I will disinfect the surface of my desk at least weekly. 

There's your PSA for the week.  ACK.

1 comment:

kuhlhiggins said...

I eat at my desk everyday. Eww, I need to scower it before lunch. It is too late for today but will have to do it tomorrow. Thank you for the enlighting information.
Kathy