Wednesday, September 8, 2004

Inventory, Working in Iraq, & Other Random Ideas

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the inventory front....I think its important for individuals to stop and take inventory at least quarterly if not each month.  By inventory I don't really care how many assets or widgets you've got on hand I mean life inventory.  Look around you.  Take notice.  What are you thankful for?  Why does your life suck a little less than the panhandler on the corner?  It helps for all of us to remind ourselves of this stuff as often as possible, or at least whenever we get whiney.  This is partially inspired by that awesome journal entry by Freee I referenced yesterday.

This quarter's inventory includes my kids, my friends and most of my family, my pets/farm/zoo, my health, my awesome job, my ability to have my basic needs met (food, shelter, clothing), my wonderful boss-provided sportscar that's now running beautifully again (love you, Dan!), my access to healthcare, my education, my house, my Dr. Pepper lipgloss, my many talents (wouldn't YOU like to know...), and my general feeling of happiness, peace, and serenity.  Ya know, I'm gonna include my baggage in this list too, because that's what makes me who I am.  "Learning Experiences".  Yep, I'm grateful for them also.  There.

*********************************************************************************

From the 'out of the purple' file...(I like purple better than blue).  One of my former coworkers has signed a contract with a company to work in Iraq.  In the not-so-fun part of Iraq.  The deal is he works 21 days straight, 12 hour days, then he's off for two weeks, for the next year at least.  He'll probably make about $250,000 this year.  His contract renews annually, should he choose to do so.  He's an egghead engineer doing "consulting" for one of those companies bleeding the US government dry.

Here's the "rest of the story".  His wife is staying here with his 16 year old daughter.  They've been married 18 years and he's less than satisfied in his marriage.  His contract states that he cannot return to the US (or so he says) but he can fly the wife and kid out to visit.  As if.  Seems like divorce/separation/counseling would be a little less dangerous than accepting a job in a country where lots of foreigners have lost their heads simply because they're from another country. 

He left Saturday, August 29.  I've said my little prayer for him and his family and I'm sending good vibes his way.  I got an e-mail from him telling about his first week there and it sounds like one big party.  He got to hang out in one of Saddam's old palaces and swim in the pool.  He said it was sweet.  The compound where they 'live' while they're there is pretty nice too, and they've issued the standard bullet proof vests, gas masks and helmets.  They're being instructed on how to act safely during attack, etc.

My question:  is it really worth the quarter mill?  In the grand scheme of things, when you've got a 16 year old daughter at home, is it really worth it?  He says he wants to be a part of history.  He wants to make a difference.  There's plenty of other, less threatening ways to make a difference right here, but hey - whatever lights your fire.

Anyway, tons more prayers and good vibes to ya Darrell.  Please be safe and come home in one piece. 

********************************************************************************

CYA for above pic:  New Mexico Rare Plant Technical Council. 1999. New Mexico Rare Plants. Albuquerque, NM: New Mexico Rare Plants Home Page. http://nmrareplants.unm.edu (Version 15 March 2002).

1 comment:

kuhlhiggins said...

I have lots to be thankful for my health, my family, Scotty, Higgins, and my friends at Slender Lady.. I have a half way decent job. I have a car that takes me where I need to go. I have a nice apartment and nice clothes. It is necessary to take inventory every so often.
Kathy