Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Proper use of possessives

Based on a discussion in my workplace among engineers and a bored accounting nerd.

Grammar lesson for the day:

Possessives.  Usually in the form of an apostrophe, followed by an s.  Not to be confused with plurals.

Use the apostrophe plus s to form the possessive of most singular nouns:  Joe's father    the girl's dress

Use simply the apostrophe after the s in plural nouns to form the plural possessive:  girls' gym  kids' parents lawyers' cases

Use a apostrophe on the first word in a compound noun to form possession.  his sister-in-law's dog,  the Commonwealth Attorney's case

 

I recently saw this sign in good ole' beautiful downtown Albuquerque.

"Ladie's Night - No Cover "

Ladies'.  Because its a plural possessive.  Like "Our cats have a toy.  Its the cats' toy."

Yours.  Not your's.  "This journal is yours."  instead of "This journal is your's"

Journals.  Not journal's unless you're referring to something belonging to a journal.  So instead of "I was bored so I was cruising journal's and decided to read your's."  Try: " I was bored so I was cruising journals and decided to read yours."

Just sayin'.

Oh oh oh.  One more thing.  "Irregardless" is not a word.  Its "regardless".

"Nucular" (noo cue lar) is not a word.  Its "noo-clee-ar".  Nuclear.

"subliminable" is not a word.  Its "subliminal". 

"ain't" still isn't acceptable in grown up language, unless you're being silly.

I'm an accountant.  A math nerd.  Idon't know how to spell.  I don't know why this bugs me.  Its random.

Finally - y'all IS a word.  The plural is "all y'all".

***************************************************************************

Quotes of the day:

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."  --Samuel Johnson

"Conscience is the inner voice that warns us somebody may be looking" --Henry Louis Mencken

"There are three ways to get something done:  do it yourself, hire someone, or forbid your kids to do it" -- Monta Crane

I'm done now.  LOL

*********************************************************************************************

(pacing the floor until exam time - I do this all the time and I know its unhealthy, but its a process.  kinda like John Cage hearing the bells on Ally McBeal)

1 comment:

kristeenaelise said...

Good grief maybe I should have pursued that degree in elementary education after all, huh??