Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Excuse me, do I know you?

 

I just had the strangest experience...

Ever know someone for a while, think you've got them pretty much figured out, then they do some bizarre 180 on you and you're left scratching your head???

There's this female I know professionally, who happens to work for a competitor firm.  We often talk to each other at bid openings, because usually we're the only two females there.  (The construction industry is about 50 years behind the 8 ball where that's concerned)  Anyway, we usually laugh and joke about things we encounter in the business, like guys calling us "Hun" or "Sweetie" or "Babe" and random things like job location...you get the idea.  Small talk.

A government style bid opening is unique.  Its a public hearing so to speak, so the engineer is present, the purchasing agent for the government entity is there, along with a few witnesses for checks and balances.  They read each bid out loud, after checking to make sure we've met certain minimum requirements like bonding, licensing, etc.  The results become public record.

Anyway, so I'm sitting there waiting for the opening to begin, sitting next to this female person.  I greet her, tell her hello and she doesn't respond.  She's all fidgety.  So I just shrugged it off and started preparing for the opening.  Turns out she didn't plug all her numbers into the total and they were apparent low, so I asked the purchasing agent for a re-tabulation.  He said they were allowed by law 30 days, standard response yada yada yada.  Well, after considering her mistake, my company was low.  YAY!

Miss Thang huffs, says real snarfy "well I guess you can call DAN now with the good news!" (my boss) and stomps off like a toddler.

Alrighty then. 

Good thing I live with teenage females or that would have caught me completely off guard.  I had to suppress the laughter, which of course burst out after she had safely exited the building.

You realize its individuals like that - the dual personality thing - that give women a bad name.  That's where stereotypes begin...they're unpredictable, they're moody, they're snippy, they don't play well with others....this is where that comes from.  Its so disappointing.

This is why I teach my girls to 'kill 'em with kindness'.  If you react calmly and sweetly to a situation like that, you end up looking better than if you act a fool.  It also helps the out of line individual to realize how dorky they look.  At least one would hope.

So, yeah, I've been a little snarfy lately.... that experience made me realize that's not the most attractive image.  Fear not, I'm sipping a giant diet coke as I type...

Its Wednesday, thank goodness....

3 comments:

kuhlhiggins said...

Gee, the female did look stupid and dorky after a comment like that from her. I just don't get some people. Anyway, it is best to kill them with kindness. I like that word snarfy lol. I haven't heard that one before.
Love,
Kat

kdwsunshine said...

you are right, that is exactly what gives women a bad name!

diet coke, mmmm, sounds good, think i'm gonna have to stop by the store on my way to work tonight!

hugs,
Kathi

andreakingme said...

I *WISH* I could do the Kill 'em With Kindness thing--for the very reasons you give. I don't think I could, though. Looking at my face is like looking at an open book. If I'm mad, sad, depressed or mirthful, anyone with eyes knows it.

I wouldn't make a good secret service agent.