Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Getting back to randomness

I haven't been writing as much of my own stuff today, and that has a lot to do with composing a nightmare of an accounting research paper that's due tomorrow.  One can only read so many FASB's, Sarbanes-Oxley Act studies, articles, codes, etc without going crosseyed.  I tell you, with all of the ethical concerns accountants have nowadays, we might as well get a dual law degree.  Volumes of laws and codes and principles and cases with precedence....legal-ese up the wazoooo.

While its true that accounting, as with other professions, a great deal of personal and professional ethics has to be almost innate.  Recent happenings (think Enron, World-Com, Arthur Anderson, etc) has made it so that accountants are despised almost as much as trial lawyers.  (Flashing back to W's repeated use of the words "trial lawyer" and "liberal" during the campaign as though they were some kind of disgusting communicable disease....)  Clue in:  not EVERY trial lawyer, accountant, or LIBERAL is unethical or immoral.  Just sayin'.

There are some people who never could be in a position such as mine due to lack of personal ethics.  My Louie is one of those people - he's flat out told me he could not resist the opportunity of available money to pocket.  Well, at least he admits it.  His sister used to service ATM machines - another occupation Louie could never handle.  He and I have almost polar opposite views of things - he believes that if someone drops a bundle of money and you see it, you don't tell the person because that's a 'gift from God'.  Don't ask me - I didn't raise him.

At any rate, its so easy for someone on the industry side of the accounting profession to steal from their employers and we hear about it constantly.  Today I was on the phone with tech support for an accounting software glitch, and the woman proceeded to tell me how another controller got away with stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from her employer by printing checks out using the demo company, then switching over to the other side and voiding out the check there.  Insane.  That individual's going to jail now, and the tech support woman could have easily aided a criminally-minded person by giving them education on how to steal undetected.  Ridiculous.  Thank gawd I'd never think to do such a thing.

I'm a strong believer in karma.  I've seen it happen.  People who do horrible things always get it in the end - just like in the movies.  If they don't get caught, they get sick or die or something truly horrible happens.  Why risk it?  Why give yourself that kind of stress?  Its never worth it.  I'm sure each one of us can think of someone who's done someting dastardly who's gotten smacked with karma...(thinkin of at least two right now in my own personal fairly recent experience)

Its so much easier to be truthful and honest - think about it.  If you are, you never have to remember which lie you told whom.  You never have to lose sleep wondering if you're gonna get caught and when.  You never have to worry about karma creeping up on you, because the only karma you're bringing is the positive kind.

John Lennon said it best...

Instant Karma's gonna get you
Gonna knock you right on the head
You better get yourself together
Pretty soon you're gonna be dead
What in the world you thinking of
Laughing in the face of love
What on earth you tryin' to do
It's up to you, yeah you

Instant Karma's gonna get you
Gonna look you right in the face
Better get yourself together darlin'
Join the human race
How in the world you gonna see
Laughin' at fools like me
Who in the hell d'you think you are
A super star
Well, right you are

Well we all shine on
Like the moon and the stars and the sun
Well we all shine on
Ev'ryone come on

Instant Karma's gonna get you
Gonna knock you off your feet
Better recognize your brothers
Ev'ryone you meet
Why in the world are we here
Surely not to live in pain and fear
Why on earth are you there
When you're ev'rywhere
Come and get your share

Surround yourself with positive energy, do good things and good will be done for you as well.  I do declare I was born two decades too late....

Nite everyone....MUAH!

Hugs to everyone, and I do mean everyone.

4 comments:

childebrand1968 said...

I so agree with you on all the tax codes and laws! Boring reading that makes me snooze.  After enron, etc., went belly up-- I found it hard to find decent jobs where people don't look at me like the next thief holding the books.  I have a God-fearing conscious that wouldn't allow me to be dishonest, but I've heard fellow coworkers say they couldn't do my job because its too tempting!?!  Not me...its not my money, and I prefer to come by it honestly than face wrath for taking what isn't mine.

I loved auditing, so I did that for awhile.  But all I can say is thank goodness for tax season......  

Cat

phlskygirl said...

Perfect example to illustrate your point:  SCOTT PETERSON!   Hurray for karma, kismet, and sucky defense attorneys!

P.S.  Those last 13 lines of John Lennon's song were completely unnecessary and utter overkill.  Just sayin'.  

Still love ya.   ;o)~

kristeenaelise said...

THERE Miss Fancy Pants.  Edited.  Good grief edits one paper and thinks she can break out that red marker anywhere.  

Brat!!  LOL!!!  

phlskygirl said...

Woo-hoo!  She wuvs me back!!
::::::happy dance:::::::