Wednesday, December 8, 2004

Christmas means...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...stress!!

Almost every year I do this.  I stress about where money's gonna come from for Christmas gifts.  This is NOT the spirit of the season, but y'all know everyone on a budget does this.  How am I going to pull this off?  Every year I figure out a way - usually involves robbing Peter to pay Paul or some variance of that, but I manage it every year.  I stress up until I've got all the gifts bought and wrapped and everything's baked and ready.

Now, is this the true spirit of the season?  Isn't it supposed to be fun and heart warming and a wonderful time of the year?  Why does everything have to be so based on material things, driven by money and how much you have or how clever you disguise the fact that you don't have any money to spare at all?

I LOVE giving things to people.  I often go crazy wanting to give people their gifts early because I love it so much.  I am also fortunate enough to have a wide circle of friends, peers, professional contacts, etc.

[Side note:  This is the first year since 2001 that I won't be spending a huge amount of money on one certain someone.  I also won't spend weeks watching the mail for a promised present that was never actually sent.  (Must have gotten lost in the mail....)  For some reason that's sort of sad and heartbreaking and liberating all at the same time.  The truth shall set you free.]

Anyway...back to our regularly scheduled purge....

I also love the fuzziness of the Christmas season.  I love all our traditions (the girls and I have quite afew) and seeing the lights and the Christmas trees and hearing the carols and cheesy Christmas music.  I love the tamales and the biscochitos and the empanadas, I love hanging out with my adopted family and friends.  I love the cold weather....

I'm not a Scrooge, I swear.  I'm just a typical middle-class American trying to pull Christmas OUT OF MY BUTT.  Well, not really....its a figure of speech....but you get the point.

Couple the holiday season with LIFE and you get stress.  This also happens to be finals time at school, including horrificly long research papers about something I blew off most of the semester.  Bills don't go on a holiday break and children still need food and shelter and well...stuff.

Anyway, I do love this season, I do.  This is truly my favorite time of year.  I love the general squooginess of our population, regardless of the holiday they celebrate.  I love the spirit of the season.  I'd just really like to do without the stress.

Last year I asked Santa for a wife.  I'm still waiting.  I need a wife to help me with the kids and cook dinner and do laundry and all the stuff moms have to do.  This year I'm asking for a lottery win.  I think the odds of this year's wish coming true are about the same as last year's.   I still want a wife though, if anyone wants to apply....

*****

P.S. AOL really needs a new color of green.  This is what I call 'billious green' - meaning it looks to be the same color as bile.  I've worked in the medical field so unfortunately I know this first hand.

P.P.S.S. I find out the score of the auditing final tomorrow night, and I get the take home final for the org development class....thanks for everyone who's put up with my caca during this stressful time.  You guys rock.

****

MUAH!

Nite everybody - hope your Wednesday was a happy one.

3 comments:

kuhlhiggins said...

I hope you did well on your finals. I get stressed at Christmas also.
Love,
Kat

aiibrat said...

Christmas means a lot of things.  I know what you are saying.  (((hugs)))

phlskygirl said...

If you do decide to waste money on any B.B.'s this year, may I recommend a long-handled scrub-brush for the shower?  Just a suggestion...