Wednesday, December 1, 2004

World AIDS Day

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Imagine - John Lennon

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

Today's World AIDS day, and coincidentally its also the week Alberto died of that wicked disease two years ago.  (Weird, its hard to believe its been two years already).  Yeah, you guessed it - this'll be a tough week for me.

Anyway the AIDS epidemic is not going away.  HIV is not going away.  Yes, we're more aware, yes there are new medications available, but HIV and AIDS are still here and there are a lot of people who still need our love and resources while they battle this horrible disease.

The following is a snippet from an e-mail I recieved as part of the ONE campaign:

****

More than 25 million Africans have HIV. Today, 6,300 people in Africa will die of HIV/AIDS and another 8,500 will become infected with the virus. Tomorrow, the cycle will repeat itself. The African continent is losing an entire generation of teachers, nurses, farmers, mothers, and fathers, already leaving behind 12 million orphans.

UNAIDS released a report in advance of World AIDS Day with a special focus on women. According to this report, in sub-Saharan Africa, the worst-affected region, close to 60% of adults living with HIV are women.

What can we, as Americans, do to help?  If you haven’t done so already, please take ONE minute now to add your voice to the ONE hundred thousand others who have signed the ONE campaign declaration.  If you have already signed, please forward this message to your friends and family, and ask them to sign this pledge to help the poorest people of the world overcome AIDS and extreme poverty:

http://www.theONEcampaign.org

In partnership with hundreds of local community groups, volunteers for DATA will be promoting the ONE campaign at World AIDS Day  events around the country.  These events provide an important opportunity for Americans to get involved and learn what they can do ONE by ONE to fight global AIDS and poverty.  To find out how you can get involved in your community, click here:

http://www.data.org/local

****

My usual schpeel:  Get tested, be safe.  Educate yourself and others, Donate time or money, DO   something.

3 comments:

kuhlhiggins said...

I just went to theONEcampaign.org and signed.
Love,
Kat

coy1234787 said...

This is so important.
  *** Coy ***

http://journals.aol.com/coy1234787/Dancingintherain

lolabc2002 said...

I did your bidding and logged onto that site. I don't know if I ever told you, but I had always wanted to work with AIDS patients....on a volunteer basis, and apparently in Milwaukee, all they wanted out of me was to work for free for their bookstore. My idea of working with the people was actually to HELP them, like do their grocery shopping, take them to doctor appointments, clean their house, be their friend. Apparently it's not meant to be, unless I move. I was able to get out my maternal instincts in a different way, by taking care of a woman that had Lou Gehrig's disease....I fed her family, cleaned a little bit....did some carpooling...and was one of the last people to speak to her before she died. It was really rewarding, it was really sad, and it took a lot out of me. But the knowledge that I helped her, even in minute ways, well, that'll always be there. So many people say that I should be a nurse. I just don't know. It takes someone who can kind of turn off emotions when necessary, not sure if I'm that person.

Well....wheezing to the point of dropping dead, so just thought I'd comment. Because I can. Love you like I love albuterol and prednisone,
T