Sunday, January 2, 2005

The Inevitable New Year's Entry

This is the weather we're having in beautiful Albuquerque, NM.  I love it.  Its been a constant drizzle all day, and boy do we need this stuff.

So this is going to be the cheesy New Year Entry, a look back, reflecting on this year as well as happy optimistic thoughts for 2005. 

This year I've done so much, been through so much, accomplished so much, and grown so much.  In May I went to New Orleans with my daughters, and had such a wonderful time - I think I left my heart in New Orleans...probably along that Riverwalk somewhere.  I've never seen such a beautiful city, with so much character and history.  I'll go back there someday on a more long term basis.  In July my world was shaken to the core, which was necessary but heartbreaking nonetheless.  I still miss him every day, but I miss a made up persona that never truly existed.  Anyway, I gained so much from that drama - I honestly believe that it all happened for a reason.  Through my painful experience, I also gained one of the best friends I've ever had.  Everything I went through was worth it, just for that.  (love you A!)  Bygones.  Honestly.  I've reconnected with my Louie on a deeper, more meaningful level.  Our relationship is growing stronger, and I love having him around and in my life again.  I've accomplished so many things that I never was able to before.  I was set free, and I'm glad it all happened.  For some reason, I seem to gain strength and wisdom from painful experiences, and I love feeling this empowered.

****

Thanks to all higher powers for the new year and the ability to start anew.  I have this really strong cleaning urge, and I want to get rid of a bunch of stuff.  Maybe like that quarterly cleansing ritual I go through.

My resolutions this year are: 

1.   To keep working on my health.  I haven't been in the hospital long term for asthma issues since October 2002.  I've stopped taking all but three meds (down from 9!!) I've lost a great deal of weight.  I've started exercising again, because I can now.  Things are definately looking up. 

2.  To fix the stuff about the house that I hate.  Two sister-in-laws have lived here before me, and the house was built in 1975.  While I've done a LOT to update it, there's still more to do, like this:

Those squiggly things are wood stained dark brown to match the dark brown paneling that's also going.  Yes, its even around the skylights, but only in this den/kitchen area.

You guys get to look down the never ending hallway... Not only is the paneling dark brown but its got a high gloss varnish all over.  You can actually see your reflection in them (see the reflection of the linen closet door?).  UGH.  This house used to have orange and red shag carpeting, lemon yellow linoleum throughout, olive green counters...it has come a long way.

...although I still don't know what to do with that space between the tops of the cabinets and the ceiling...

I think two resulotions are enough for this year - the paneling is a pretty tall order.  Its going to be a great year though, I can tell already.  I'm in a healthy REAL ACTUAL relationship, my kids are doing wonderfully, I'm five classes away from graduation, I have a wonderful job, and life is good.

Anyway, I'm going to check out other resolutions and cheesy New Year entries...I hope everyone's 2005 is groovy too.

2 comments:

kuhlhiggins said...

Happy New New Kris. I know you can achieve your resolutions for the New Year.
Love,
Kat

slowmotionlife said...

New Orleans is a powerful city... a city I might actually retire to when I get older.  I'd love to buy a little antique shop in the french quarter and live out my days there, tightening up my French, and looking for ghosts.  Care to join me??  LoL  :P

Happy New Year!!!!