Wednesday, March 2, 2005

BLAH!

That's the Kimo theater downtown.  It was built in 1927 and its gorgeous - inside and out.  I took the pic above, the ones below are from the website.

KiMo Stage

Thunderbird     Balcony Stairs     Proscenium

My name is Ted,
And one day I'll be dead yo yo.

--Boys Don't Cry - I Wanna Be A Cowboy

*************

When I was a kid, my brother and I used to love to sit in my Grandma's outdoor hot tub.  I guess it was the closest thing to a pool we could get at their house, and any water is good water during an Albuquerque summer (...like seven inches from the midday sun...).  Anyway, we used to walk around the middle of the hot tub as fast as we could for as long as we could so we could get a little spiral hot tub water cyclone going, and then we'd stop and try to stand still as all the water swirled around us.

That's how I feel sometimes.  As if I'm standing still and everything's sort of swirling past.  Like life is passing me by.  Like there aren't enough hours in the day.  Meanwhile, kids are growing up, I'm getting older, stuff's happening....and I feel like its all happening just outside my line of vision.

What if I get to the end of the line and feel like I've "missed the dance"? 

*****

I've come to the conclusion that I'm a terrible judge of character.  Either I trust people completely immediately, or I'm too hard on them and go the other way. 

On one hand, I tend to trust people entirely too fast and way before they earn it.  Examples include:  falling in love with an online predator I'd never met in person, believing a former employee when he told me he'd played for the LA Raiders in the early 80's, believing a former employee when he told me his wife had cancer (she didn't! isn't that a sick thing to lie about?!?), family - I'll spare you the details there - and that's just to name a few. 

On the other hand, I can totally misjudge someone's intentions and later discover they were actually very nice people after all.  I came to this realization the other day after I discovered a classmate was really genuinely a nice person trying to help me, instead of the jerk I had made her out to be.  We had to work together in groups one day for a graded assignment, and she came off as being a little too arrogant, a little too bossy, a little too confident - it bugged me.  Since then, she's helped this blind-as-a-bat student decipher illegible professor writing, and shared notes when I've missed class. We've discussed homework, life....turns out she's a "non traditional" student like me, works full time and schools part time, like me - well, we have a lot in common. 

My bad.

I don't want to end up bitter, paranoid, an online AOL junkie....ok so I'm already an AOL junkie. 

So how does one turn their radar around?  Anyone else a bad judge of character?

*******

I think Aileen summed it up in one statement. 

"You're an idiot."

*******

The winner of this week's tiny you-know-what award:  the guy who almost killed me trying to get around me and cut me off as we got on I-25 this morning in his poor-attempt-at-being-souped-up Toyota or whatever it was.  PUH-lease.  (Maybe next time he'll get something with a bigger engine.)

Its too bad we all don't have 1-800 numbers on our cars like I have to.  Then maybe people would play nice.

I've often wondered if the only people who actually call those numbers are women suffering from PMS symptoms.  Ya think? 

I've never ever called one.  (pfft!)

*********

That's it for today!!

Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!

=)

 

1 comment:

cneinhorn said...

alrighty then!  yes, I've misjudged in the past too..but have since put my radar on high gear...still, you can't help but get burned here and there...love the theatre shots by the way...~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl