Wednesday, April 20, 2005

PSA for Dieters

The USDA has redesigned the good ole food pyramid, adding some more specific suggestions and guidelines.  Their new website boasts an individualized plan, with suggestions on what is right for you given your age, sex, and activity level.  It almost makes sense.  Check it out here:

http://www.mypyramid.gov/index.html

Its all based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005 - sponsored by the Department of Health and Human Services and the USDA.  Basically its the same deal, but the pyramid values now extend from the base to the tip, in proporation to the amount you should aim for daily.  They give healthy recommendations on which types of foods to eat, such as lean meats, fish and poultry as well as green leafy and orange veggies.

I've tried to test drive this website, but its slower than molasses on Christmas and its irritating the heck outta me.  From what I can tell, its got a weight tracker, diet tracker, physical activity tracker, and food recommendations individualized for your specific needs.  There's also suggestions for eating out and physical activity ideas.  This is the kind of thing we pay tons of money to access online, whether through Weight Watchers, E-Diets, Diet Watch or the others, and its completely free.

The only problem is, its slow.  Its taken me the better part of the day to find out what it does, and that's only because I leave it loading in the background while I work on other stuff.  Once they get the bugs ironed out, it should be a great resource and tool.

The individualized aspect of the site can be found here - you just register as a new user and it saves your information.

Just thought I'd share...

 

5 comments:

mum24boyz said...

I tried to access it as well...same thing.. i'm like.. they are always changing this darn pyramid!! Just finally memorized the last one, darn it..lol!

jmorancoyle said...

I can handle salads, fresh fruit and lean meat. Does one of those pretty colored spaces give room for the chocolate food group?
Jude

gabreaelinfo said...

Very informative!
Gabreael
http://journals.aol.com/gabreaelinfo/GabreaelsBodyMindSpiritJournal/

freeepeace said...

"and the other 1% of the population as well" <---ROFL!!  Knee-slappin funny, girl!

andreakingme said...

Kris, I read this entry (plus the one below) late yesterday, but was friggen brain tired and couldn't come up with anything to say. But I was here! I was here!

Thanks for posting this info., even if the site you're referring to is slower than molasses on Christmas (hah, whut tuh hail does that mean?). Anyway ... I think it's a sign that you've posted this stuff because my horoscope forecast (Aries, for the month of April) says that I'm going to lose some weight. Woo-hoo!

Yours,
Slim