Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Words of Wisdom/Encouragement

Listen to the whispers of your soul,
and know how beautiful you truly are.
You suppose you are the trouble
But you are the cure
You suppose that you are the lock on the door
But you are the key that opens it
It's too bad that you want to be someone else
You don't see your own face, your own beauty
Yet, no face is more beautiful than yours

The above (I'm told) is from the Koran - a friend of mine e-mailed it to me today.  I think its absolutely beautiful, and so appropriate.  So many women, including me and several people very close to me, are facing self-esteem and self-doubt issues daily - especially if we're overweight or insecure (or both).  It seems to exacerbate during periods of stress or change.

I know I have days where I'm feeling right on and beautiful and confident, and then the next day I'm wondering what I was thinking...it could be catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror, seeing a photograph, having someone question my professional judgement - anything can trigger a sudden spiral into self doubt. What's interesting to me, since I work around guys and was raised around guys, is that many of the ones I talk to tell me that there's so much more to beauty than just physical attractiveness.  We women tend to exaggerate the importance of physical beauty as well as our individual perceived flaws.  We're the ones that obsess about this stuff - its not really about them.

I know a lot of this comes from baggage - from rejection or our childhood or some significant event in our lives, but it seems this feeling is a resounding one with most of the females in my life.  Is this something we learn over time? 

We second guess ourselves and constantly value others wishes, beliefs, opinions, and views above ours.  I'm trying to get to the place where I know I've been before - where I felt empowered, beautiful, strong, loved, intelligent, and successful.  Its time to concentrate on my needs as well as everyone elses'. 

Crazy how so many of us are going through this same thing...

Anyway, read and enjoy.  I did.

 

 

 

ps that is so not a photograph I took - I downloaded it years ago with the intention of painting something similar, so I have no idea where it came from.  If anyone knows, I'd love to give credit to the photographer.  Just sayin'

1 comment:

jeff466 said...

That is really nice, thanks for sharing.

I have the same issues.  One day I feel fine and the next day I'm a basket case because I look in the mirror.  The funny thing is when I look at someone, I don't judge them by the way they look-I reserve this for myself.  

I usually only feel this way in situations where I don't know everyone or crowds-if I am around people I know I feel fine.  If I am in a crowd I feel like everyone is staring at me.  God forbid if I have to speak in public-I start shaking, sweating and my voice cracks.  

I know it all sounds silly in black and white-now if I could just get the gray matter to realize this!

The stepchild issue was resolved nicely-I got an apology that was given freely and I felt like it was genuine.  Thanks for commenting about it.  Yep, if there is a next time-they'll have no kids or grown up kids!!!

Hope you have "right on" day tomorrow :)  Jeff