Monday, May 23, 2005

Sunscreen Expires, and other random tidbits

That's actually from my yard.  I just love flowers...

****

Planning a family vacation is a trip.  Literally.  We're so financially-limited, all we can afford is a little road trip down south to see Carlsbad Caverns.  I'm actually taking four days off in a row (unprecidented in my position) after Memorial Day, and I'm planning a two night stay down in beautiful downtown Carlsbad, New Mexico.  $40 a night, $10 to get into the park...sounds good to me!! 

I figured it would be educational as well as fun for the kiddos...I think it'll just be nice to get out of the city for a while. 

This is the first time all of us are going, so we have to bring the little dogs.  I trust no one with my hitos, so I'm trying to arrange accomodations for four of us plus two four-legged guys.  I found out there are kennels where they can stay while we tour the caves for "a small fee", and I'll bring carriers for the hotel room while we leave to eat. 

If anyone has wisdom to offer about road trips with pets & kids, feel free to chime in...

I'm predicting this will be another "Learning Experience".  7 hours each way, on the road with two children (one teenager and one eight year old) and two dogs.  I am requiring good attitudes and fun, darnit.  Accepting no substitutions. 

Thou shalt have fun and be happy.  DARNIT.

*****

Speaking of Memorial Day, we usually head up north to visit Alberto's grave and spend time with the family - Louie's from a little tiny northern New Mexico town called Canjilon, and that's where Alberto is buried.  Its a nice trip, it'll do Louie some good, and maybe we can hit the lake and get some mountain air in the meantime.

Canjilón Lakes, Canjilón, New Mexico

Memorial Day also marks the anniversary of my mother's death, so its good for me to get my mind off of that, attempt some clarity, that sort of thing .  I'm actually looking forward to the day after Memorial Day, so I can get the heck outta Dodge.

*****

You know its summer when our pool goes up, and the pool is up.  Olympic sized its not, but its about 4' deep and 18' around, so its big enough.  That being said, every free moment has been in the pool. 

Kris Wisdom:  We learned that sunscreen expires.  We learned that the hard way.  Parts of my body are so burned they're almost purple.  Before anyone thinks of calling social services or some such nonsense, the kids' sunscreen was not expired. 

Lesson learned:  sunscreen expires.  Who knew?  Everyone who has seen this has made the air-through-the-teeth sound. . . there's your warning.

Ouch??

Suddenly "Rock Lobster" by the B-52s is in my head.

Boy's in bikinis
Girls in surfboards
Everybody's rockin'
Everybody's fruggin'
Twistin' 'round the fire
Havin' fun
Bakin' potatoes
Bakin' in the sun

Sunscreen expires.  Just thought I'd drill that home.

*****

Happy Monday, everyone!

 

5 comments:

kuhlhiggins said...

Kris,
Your trip sounds great. I love the picture of the flowers.
Love,
Kat

phlskygirl said...

Congrats on your upcoming vacation, and "OUCH!" to your sunburn!!  Do NOT post pics of it turning into blisters... blech...

lurkynat said...

Dear kris,
I love the points you made about how the children and you can have a great time when you're chipping in to it together.
Yeah.
The dogs I know about that too. :)
I am soooo sorry about your mother ..it is ahrd to miss your mother, I know.
(Sorry to hear about ALberto too).
Carlsbad Caverns are Fab.... no caverns are as good anywhere so I predict you'll always ermember them!
Have fun!

jmorancoyle said...

My heart is with you and your sun burn. Been there, done that. Owe.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/JMoranCoyle/MyWay

mikethedawg said...

Yay! A seven hour trip with kids and dogs...boy are you gonna have fun! Sorry, I can't make it, I've got more annoying things to do. hee hee hee. Just take the headphones and you'll be fine...pack a cooler with some veggies and drinks for the road, crack the windows for the dog farts.

AND GO BUY NEW SUNSCREEN....OUCH!