Friday, August 5, 2005

A Milestone.

There they were, hanging on the door of my closet, challenging me.  Teasing me. 

"Try us on, you know you want to", they called.

I resisted.  I knew, in my heart of hearts, that if they didn't fit I'd be disappointed, devastated and depressed all morning.  I prepared myself, left the hanger out just in case they didn't fit.  I could always give them back to Emily, or someone else...

I removed them from said hanger, and held them up.  "They look small", I thought to myself.  I ran my eyes around the inside of the waistband, searching desperately for a size tag.  I knew these were my daughter's jeans, and she's smaller than me, so there was just no way.  I knew these might as well have been in the "As If" section of my closet.  There was no size tag. 

SIDENOTE:  My closet, as with a lot of other women's I'm sure, has various sections of fat.  There's the "As If" section, the ones I haven't worn for years because they're so small, but I refuse to let them go because I JUST KNOW they're gonna fit someday.  There's the "Bovine" section, there's the "PMS-ing" section, and there's the various stages of in between.  These jeans looked small.  Too small.

I took a deep breath.  I was totally prepared for the disappointment to come.  I lifted one leg in, then the other, and started to pull.

Amazing, they went up past my hips.  I sat there with them unbuttoned for a while, in complete and total shock.  I stared down - they weren't even uncomfortable. 

"I just wonder....", I pondered out loud.

I grabbed either side, to button them, and OH MY GAWD they buttoned AND ZIPPED and were comfortable.  Given, they're those "Low Rise" things that I'm not used to, but...

                         ***THEY FIT!!!***

These are my daughter's jeans.  That means I'm down a total of 5 jeans sizes since this time last year.  MY DAUGHTER'S JEANS.  She hugged me tight when she realized they were hers...and I have room to spare!

So, I lost all sense of normalcy and wore them all day, and I look damn good, if I do say so myself.  Everyone noticed!!  I haven't worn this size in over three years.  Amazing what an innocent pair of jeans can do.  (Anybody else a child of the 80's?  These lowrise take some getting used to - it feels like your butt could pop out at any time.)

I know we've all been through this, I just haven't had a positive outcome from a little experiment like this in such a long time, I had to share. 

9 comments:

kuhlhiggins said...

Kris,
That is so exciting. I am so happy for you.
Love,
Kat

lurkynat said...

Yeah Kris! Attagirl!
love , nat

ccancu said...

I felt like I was with you each step . . .  dread . . . feeling of JOY!  THEY FIT!  HOORAY!!!

I was a weight counselor for years.  Believe me, I've had my own "weight issues", so I empathize, completely!

I'm so happy for you.
                           Cyndy
http://journals.aol.com/ccancu/CEEGEEATLARGE

jmorancoyle said...

    Good Work, Kris! I'm so proud of you!
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/JMoranCoyle/MyWay

jgrand1 said...

Ah, jeans, the last frontier (to conquer)!  Congrats on getting into those itty bitty little jeans!  I also just bought two pairs of (relatively) small low-rise jeans that actually fit!  Such a happy shock!  Congrats also on the 9,000 hits--I lost over 800 when  I changed by blog title--argh!
http://journals.aol.com/jgrand1/JeannesOracle/  

pollysci said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  

~tara :)

adieppa2 said...

YAY!  I'm so freakin' happy for you!  I loooooove low-rise jeans -- they make me feel sexay, and I'll bet you LOOKED it!!  Why come ain't there no photo posted, huh?  Or at least in my inbox?

It's been AGES since I've read journals... I miss them, and you as well, my Krispy Kreme!

xoxo
Aileen

toonguykc said...

Way to go!!  I'm feeling like a fat-ass, and just looking at those skinny pants made my stomach hurt!

Russ

jeff466 said...

I was catching up on your journal and thought I'd say hello and
CONGRATULATIONS!!!  How exciting!  That is a great milestone!

That low rise thing does look like it would be hard to get used to.  I accidentally grabbed a pair of them once while trying on jeans about a week ago.  After gettting over the shock that they make them in men's jeans as well I chuckled and didn't dare try them on!

Hope you had a great weekend :)  Jeff