Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Weight Loss Junk - Stuff That's Worked For Me.

Crazy how a girl's outlook on life can change dramatically with the news that she's lost another 3.2 lbs, for a grand total of 46.2 (at Weight Watchers - I lost 10-15 before that I didn't keep track of too well). 

A few people, (well, mostly Raven) have asked me how I've done so well.  Kris' weight loss success, in 10 easy steps:

First, get pissed.  Get real tired of being treated differently because you're overweight.  Get tired of sleeping horribly, wearing crappy looking clothes, feeling ugly, and feeling tired all the time.  Hold on to the determination and perservere.  Make a commitment to yourself and stick to it.  Find anything you can to remind you and keep you focused.  I happen to use my wedding ring - its very loose now and that's what reminds me of how far I've come.  I am NOT going back.

Second, skip the fads.  Nutrasweet, Jenny Craig, Atkins, SlimFast, the Grapefruit Diet, the Cabbage Soup Diet, the Flavor of the Week Diet, the liquid fasts...fill in the blank.....  Let me save you a couple of thousand dollars - it won't work unless it teaches you how to eat real life food in real life situations.  You're not going to haul prepackaged food with you for the rest of your life, or a shake, or a grapefruit, or whatever.  You'll lose it, but you'll gain it back and it'll bring friends.  Plus, a lot of those things will leave you malnutritioned and ill.  (Like gout, ill.)  It took you several years to put the weight on, it'll take awhile to get it off.  Quick fixes don't work, unless you're willing to risk your life and many thousands of dollars on gastric bypass.

Third, lose the cola.  All of it, but especially diet cola.  I swear I HATE admitting this out loud, but this weight would have been gone years ago if I'd have known that.  (I miss it soooo much!)

Fourth, keep track of what you eat.  Every BLT (bite, lick, taste).  You'll be surprised.  You say, "But I don't eat that much!".  Trust me honey, you do.  Then, find out what you're supposed to be eating and make sure what you consume is under that calorie level. Check out usda.gov for specifics.  Lower fat, follow the food pyramid, keep the sugar to a minimum.  Don't bulk up on any one thing - if you can't eat like real people, something's wrong.

Fifth, drink tons and I do mean tons of water.  I drink about 160 ounces while I'm at work, and more while I'm at home.  Squeeze some limes into it, drink the Dansani flavored stuff - whatever it takes.

Sixth, eat breakfast.  Not pancakes and biscuits and gravy, but something good for you.  A bowl of cereal, a cup of yogurt or a piece of fruit.  Eat something.

Seventh, exercise.  Burn more calories than you eat.  Even walking 15 minutes.  Play with your kids.  Hide the remote.  Do something.  Move.  I know it sucks, and its hard and it hurts at first.  Keep at it.  What they don't tell you (or maybe they do) is that once you do it for a while you start to crave it.  It starts to make you feel amazing.  You start sleeping better.  You have more energy to do more things.  I can now do 3 flights of stairs without passing out.  That's huge!  You do NOT have to go to the gym and lament over all the beautiful women with butt floss walking around - find something you like.  Start by parking the car farther, just do something.

Eighth, refocus.  If you're truly starving, eat, but try to figure it out first.  Are you bored?  Get up and walk around.  Drink some water.  Still hungry?  Wait 20 minutes.  STILL hungry?  Eat, but eat something healthy, bulky, and preferably raw and preferably vegetable.

Ninth, become a grazer.  Eat little amounts, often.  I probably eat 6 or 7 times a day.  Don't eat after 7 or 8 PM if you can help it, and make lunch bigger than dinner.

Tenth, find a friend to support you, or find a group to do it with.  Don't try to do it alone unless you're a hermit.  There's lots of free weight loss groups out there, and Weight Watchers is pretty reasonable.

DISCLAIMER:  I am by no means an authority on this issue, other than the fact that I've been overweight since my second daughter was born 8 1/2 years ago, and downright fat until I got my asthma under control.  I hit a plateau this summer and gave up diet coke, and its been downhill ever since. 

I'm always looking for comiserators, or for sources of support, so please feel free to e-mail me anytime.  Also, check out Kat on my favorites list - she's reached her goal already and may have much more to add (feel free, Kat!)

11 comments:

kuhlhiggins said...

Kris,
I enjoyed all of your tips Kris. One more to add is Nothing tastes as good as thin feels. When you are eating right and losing weight you feel great and when you aren't eating right you feel terrible. Plus it takes one minute to put the weight on and forever to get it off.
Love,
Kat

kuhlhiggins said...

Kris,
You are doing great. Thanks for the plug. lol.
Love,
Kat

babyshark28 said...

it's pretty much what I have been doing and I have lost...about 17 pounds.  For me it was portion size, not eating after 6, and exericise.   and nothing too hard either, just a good walk with hills involved. :)
good luck and keep going (if you need to) it sounds like you have done very well!
thanks for dropping into Substance...and Fiona is deep and powerful, it's not hard to not get swallowed up by her. :)

boiseladie said...

Wow!  Congrats on the weight loss!  I just joined WW last week and have my first weigh in tomorrow.  Diet coke, huh?  I love diet coke!  I haven't had any today, first time in years.

ravenlark2 said...

I most assuredly fall into the fourth slot. I always say I don't eat that much but when I find myself munching McDonald's french fries or having that bowl of ice cream for the second time in a day, I know I do. That's why I don't buy ice cream because it's the one junk food that I have a horrible time saying no to.

Thanks bunches for the tips. I'll be sure to check out Kat too.

Finally...WTG on your own weight loss. Maybe I'll be where you are one day...lost almost 50 lbs. That would be great! Congrats again hun.

-Raven

derasta said...

This is wonderful advice you have given here...I am struggling to lose a lot of weight...I have good days and some bad, but i'm hanging in there I wont give up this time. I've taken off 20 pounds since June 10th...it would have been more, had I stuck to my healthy eating plan...but I've had quite a few stumbles along the way...but like I said, I wont give up.

http://journals.aol.com/derasta/MyBigFatGreekLife/

freeepeace said...

Wow!  Girl, this is a great entry.  Andi told me about it and she's right, it needs to be seen.  You are exactly right about all these things.  No fads.  Graze.  Lots of water.  Fresh foods.  Exercise.  Good for you!  Way to go.  Rah rah rah!!!

jeff466 said...

Congrats on the extra weight loss!  46.2 is awesome!  I sent your blog to a friend of mine who is trying right now.  

Great advice about lots of water and skip the fads-Jeff

lici0uslatin22 said...

Trick Or Treat::::::::::::::::

jgrand1 said...

Hi Kris, I think you are right on with your 8 Rules for Weight Loss!  I heartily concur with everything you said.  I have been pondering the Diet Coke Dilemma  I know the late Dr. Atkins speculated that some artificial sweeteners still cause a spike in your insulin level--which causes us to retain fat.  However, it is possible to drink too much water so ease up on the H20.  Hell, even water can kill you!
Jeanne x

nyboots said...

keep up the good work!! I have maintained a 30 pound weight loss by only eating healthy carbs and all the other rexcellent life style tips you suggested and I am thrilled with it!