Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Fidgety

I was a fidgety kid.  I was diagnosed ADHD and thankfully given the medications I needed to function, but a lot of the time I still wanted to crawl right out of my skin from the inside.  Now that I'm a grown up, occasionally I'll have a bad day where I feel the need to run around the block for a few times.  Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately for those around me) I'm not on meds anymore, having learned some tools (so I thought) to master this issue.

Today was one of those days.

Unfortunately I was stuck in a conference all day.  A highly informative conference that I've sort of been looking forward to, in an accounting nerd sorta way.

I was ready to bust a cap.  I could NOT sit still for the entire second half of the conference.  I'm not sure I heard a lot of what the man said.  Its like a volcano ready to erupt - you have all this pent up energy just underneath the surface and no where to let it go.  Staying on task, paying attention is like torture.  Truth be told, I don't know if I would have been productive in any capacity this afternoon, and I have no idea why.  I don't know what triggered it.

I played with my hair.

I picked up and opened my cell phone about 4,598,631 times.

I clicked my pen.

I doodled.

I tapped my foot.

I shifted around in my chair.

I adjusted my shirt.

It gets worse.  I'm still feeling this way. I'm drinking caffiene (sp) because it has the opposite effect on ADHD people.  It usually calms me right down. I'll get there and stop rambling like a crazy person.

I wish I could effectively describe it.  

Got it!!

About 50 excitable honeybees in a very small jar, kept in the pit of your stomach. 

I'm off to get more tea.

2 comments:

boiseladie said...

Oh my...  hope you're feeling better!  I hate those seminars, even if I'm looking forward to one, the second half ALWAYS puts me to sleep!

jmorancoyle said...

    Screw the tea, you need coffee. And think about it. Food coloring will set you off like that, especially yellow and blue. Candy, deserts, normal everyday things like hotdogs? Pop? It has worse effects than sugar does.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay