Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Mini Rant

We all have our preferred mode of contact and communication.  Just as our attitudes and personalities are unique to us, so are our communication styles. 

I am definately a text/e-mail person.  I do not like phone conversations.  I simply despise long drawn out phone conversations (AKA anything longer than 15 minutes).  I'm just not a phone person. 

Is that so hard to understand?  I know there are others out there like this. 

NO I'm not antisocial, I'm just anti-vocal.  I'm perfectly capable of having a meaningful conversation in person.  Everything else can be done electronically.

I think part of this has to do with the fact that I am, from the time I wake up to when my head hits the pillow, multitasking in some way, shape or form.  I have ADHD, so that's sort of my M.O.  I can't be doing just one thing at a time, because that will drive me insane.  In order to be fully stimulated, I have to have at least two things going on at once.  Its impossible to multitask on the phone and still be effective.

Another part of it is my hectic life.  I am constantly either at work, volunteering, or with my kids.  There's rarely an occasion where I'm alone and/or not working.  In order to make a phone call, I have to make a conscious decision, set aside time, and concentrate on just that thing.  On top of that, as a working mom, I want every available moment with my kids.  If I'm blabbing on the phone all the time, that's not quality time.  Alternatively, if I can answer an e-mail at my leisure, usually after several different attempts, its just easier.  I can get other things accomplished in the meantime.  If I have to get up or stop to do something else real quick, I can.  If one of my kids needs to ask me a quick question, I can answer them.  On the phone though...its a different story.

I actually shut my phone off at home because we have three cell phones between us.  My only mode of contact at this point phone-wise is my work cell phone.  I don't need a telephone.  I don't like them, and I wouldn't use them if I didn't have to. 

Sidenote:  I have one of those irritating blue tooth things for work purposes...am I the only one that finds those annoying?  I always think someone's talking to their imaginary friend, and they're on their damn bluetooth thing.  Its rude to be on the phone when there are others around you who you're supposed to be paying attention to.  Just so you know.  Aside from my kids, there is NOTHING important enough to justify me walking around on the phone like that.

I completely understand different communication styles.  I know, to be effective at my job and in life, I have to call certain people to get a response, and they prefer that over e-mail.  That's totally fine with me, and I can respect that.  There are other, more verbal, personality types that prefer a face-to-face conversation or a telephone call over an e-mail.  My boss is one of those people.  I have friends and family like that, who've come to understand that you can leave me nine million voicemails, and I'll still respond back with an e-mail or a text message.  You want a phone conversation with me?  Good luck with that.  Its just not happening.  And if it does happen, it'll be quick and dirty and to the point.

I think my next phone purchase will be a Blackberry, so I can e-mail and text from the phone rather than answering it.  HA!

*Mini rant complete*

2 comments:

boiseladie said...

You're so funny, and so much like me!  I do not have a home phone any longer...  it was like $40 to $45 a month, for what?!!!?  No one ever used it, it was just left over from the pre-cell phone era!  I prefer email over phone conversations.  

jmorancoyle said...

    Good work, Kris. I hate phones, too. My kids get mad at me because if I'm home, I'll turn it off during the day. Too many headaches.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay