Monday, October 1, 2007

Were we this dramatic?

Saturday night - I get some cockamamie story from my oldest about how last minute she wants to spend the night somewhere and stuff wasn't making sense so I pulled the plug and went and fetched her from a local fast food chain, thereby interrupting her plans for the evening.

Reaction:  Tears, you're so mean, you don't understand me, why don't you trust me, blah blah, drama drama, wah wah, more tears, slammed door, silence.

For some reason, now that there's a boyfriend involved I second guess anything.  Not fair, I realize, but I also remember the stuff I pulled at her age.  I'm trying to be at least half a step ahead.  She's asked me more than twice if she can spend the night at said boyfriend's or vice versa. 

Uhm...No.

So I get this bulletin today "My mom hates me".

<screech!> Say what??

O.M.G. W.T.F.

Where we this dramatic? 

I remember how things/emotions/events/reactions were ten times bigger than actual size when we were in high school, but jeez.

Now, I've tried to make my children's existance a fairly good one.  They've been brought up in a home that is fear-free, comfortable and relatively fun to be in.  That was one of the goals.  The children have more "stuff" than I ever did, and I grew up in a semi-affluent family.  The oldest has a good head on her shoulders, so I don't question things often.  She's a good kid.  But when I do...holy guacamole.

So I explain my job description again.  Basically, my first objective/responsibility is to ensure her safety, health and welfare.  The end product, or deliverable, would be a productive responsible contributing member of society. 

She'll get over it. 

2 comments:

boiseladie said...

You done good!
Testing the said boundaries, that's their (teens) job.  It's the parent's job to maintain the line, keeping them safe and healthy.  Sometimes they (teens) hate us for what we won't allow, but they do listen and do respect our choices, even when it seems like they don't.  BTW, I have an 18 yr old son at home still, and a 26 yr old daughter who tested every line drawn!

jmorancoyle said...

    I have that with my baby now. She's 16 and she's hates me from day to day. But then again she loves me, too. And yes, we were that bad. Thought we might control something. Think again.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay